Thursday, October 7, 2010

Why Unplug?

Unplugging televisions across America would not create children to grow up healthier, better educated, and more independent. Television could be a distraction but it can also be resourceful. For example, people watch television to keep up on the recent news and weather. The television could also be used for educational purposes. Everyone learns differently. I am more of a visual learner and I feel like watching a movie over a particular lesson helps me grasp a better understanding of the subject. When I was in fourth grade my teacher would show Bill Nye videos. In the introduction Bill Nye would always say, "Inertia is a property of matter." I will never forget that quote. I'm not sure how television would effect one's independence. I think that technology could create problems if we overuse it or take advantage of it. Computers would probably create more problems than televisions. People spend hours on different websites like facebook. I do believe that children along with adults should spend less time on the couch and more time exercising and interacting with people. If a parent is concerned with how television effects their child then instead of unplugging then the parent could consider limiting how much time their child spends on the couch watching television. The television is an excellent source of entertainment and children should be able to watch it. It would take more than just unplugging a television for a child to grow up healthier, better educated, and become more independent.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that Bill Nye show! and I agree with you that people should more time interacting and exercising, but a little tv isn't bad.

    ReplyDelete